Instructions For Advair Diskus
Take the ADVAIR DISKUS out of the box and foil overwrap pouch. Write the "Pouch opened" and "Use by" dates on the label on top of the DISKUS®. The "Use by" date is 1 month from date of opening the pouch.
* The DISKUS will be in the closed position when the pouch is opened.
* The dose indicator on the top of the DISKUS tells you how many doses are left. The dose indicator number will decrease each time you use the DISKUS. After you have used 55 doses from the DISKUS, the numbers 5 to 0 will appear in red to warn you that there are only a few doses left. If you are using a “sample” DISKUS, the numbers 5 to 0 will appear in red after 23 doses.
Taking a dose from the DISKUS requires the following 3 simple steps: Open, Click, Inhale.
Hold the DISKUS in one hand and put the thumb of your other hand on the thumbgrip. Push your thumb away from you as far as it will go until the mouthpiece appears and snaps into position.
Hold the DISKUS in a level, flat position with the mouthpiece toward you. Slide the lever away from you as far as it will go until it clicks. The DISKUS is now ready to use.
- Every time the lever is pushed back, a dose is ready to be inhaled. This is shown by a decrease in numbers on the dose counter. To avoid releasing or wasting doses once the DISKUS is ready: Do not close the DISKUS.
- Do not tilt the DISKUS.
- Do not play with the lever.
- Do not move the lever more than once.
Before inhaling your dose from the DISKUS, breathe out (exhale) fully while holding the DISKUS level and away from your mouth. Remember, never breathe out into the DISKUS mouthpiece.
Put the mouthpiece to your lips. Breathe in quickly and deeply through the DISKUS. Do not breathe in through your nose.
Remove the DISKUS from your mouth. Hold your breath for about 10 seconds, or for as long as is comfortable. Breathe out slowly.
The DISKUS delivers your dose of medicine as a very fine powder. Most patients can taste or feel the powder. Do not use another dose from the DISKUS if you do not feel or taste the medicine.
Rinse your mouth with water after breathing?in the medicine. Spit the water out. Do not swallow.
- CLOSE the DISKUS when you are finished taking a dose so that the DISKUS will be ready for you to take your next dose. Put your thumb on the thumbgrip and slide the thumbgrip back toward you as far as it will go. The DISKUS will click shut. The lever will automatically return to its original position. The DISKUS is now ready for you to take your next scheduled dose, due in about 12 hours. (Repeat the steps 1 to 4.)
- REMEMBER: Never breathe into the DISKUS.
- Never take the DISKUS apart.
- Always ready and use the DISKUS in a level, flat position.
- Do not use the DISKUS with a spacer device.
- After each dose, rinse your mouth with water and spit the water out. Do not swallow.
- Never wash the mouthpiece or any part of the DISKUS. Keep it dry.
- Always keep the DISKUS in a dry place.
- Never take an extra dose, even if you did not taste or feel the medicine.